It was wonderful to be at an actual event last weekend, although the weather was not that good we had a great time and I will share more pictures of all the wonderful costumes in my next post.
I wanted to do a separate post all about the jacket and hat though as I am very pleased with how they turned out. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, based on the wonderful fabric from Bombay Stores that I bought at Christmas, but it turned out much better than expected.
I used the pattern that I had previously used for Amanda’s wedding jacket but made it much shorter without the points and did not add buttons, partly as I do not like doing buttonholes, but I think it suited the outfit to have it open.
The tassels were from stash, cut from an old Christmas table runner and there is a hook and eye behind them. I also added a brooch from stash when I wore it.
The sleeves were double layered with the organza over the satin. This was partly a practical solution to the fact that as the satin was from the bargain section and only £1.25 a metre it was quite creased. I think it worked really well though and really makes the jacket.
All of the motifs were cut from the tunic set and stitched on, as was the band at the bottom.
The hat had the same organza used for the removable band and some more motifs and beautiful jewels. This was all pinned in place.
I also made a matching mask, I will include pictures of that in the next post, there were lots of wonderful creative masks made by my fellow steampunkers and it was wonderful to see that we could have an event even with all the current restrictions. Huge thanks to all at the Ministry of Steampunk for arranging it.
I got back from Ellen’s on Tuesday and have been doing a little bit of knitting and sewing, Ellen has very kindly made me a wrist pincushion which is something that has been on my to do list for ages. It co-ordinates so well with all my other sewing accessories.
I have been making some more masks as there was great excitement this week as I actually went back into work! I went in on Thursday and had my first teaching session yesterday which went well. A little strange with me wearing a visor, no handouts and all the of the students sat on individual tables 2 metres apart but it was good to be actually back in the classroom with the students. I have made a few masks but need a week’s supply and a range of colours so that I can co-ordinate with outfits 🙂
I have a quiet week ahead so hopefully I will be able to make good progress on the knitted animals. I have finished the romper, a dress and another pair of dungarees so will share those with you soon.
I hope you have a good week ahead, take care, stay safe and thanks for visting.