Here is the surcoat for Saint George. I decided to make it open sided, more of a tabard as it may well be worn by lots of people within our group over its lifetime and that way it will be a ,’one size fits all’, piece of kit.
I designed the garment myself, a very simple and quick make as I only had one afternoon to do it.Basically it is two and a half metres of fabric folded in half lengthways with a little trimmed off the one edge.This meant I only had one side seam to sew. The width of it is 25″ before sewing it up.
I had planned to then use the length folded in half width ways to make front and back. The length of the tabard from shoulder to knee is 46″. I appliqued the cross onto the front before sewing up the side seam. The cross pattern I cut out from paper with a 2″ width for each end, tapering in to the middle. The fabric was cut as one piece then machine appliqued onto the background with zigzag stitch.
I cut a hole in the middle for the head, this measures 12″ and I just drew round a plate and elongated it from the centre of the tabard. I bound the neck with a bias binding, using the quilt binding method of cutting a 2 and a half inch strip on the bias then machining it to the outside of the neck, folding it over to the inside then folding over the raw edge and slip stitching it to the inside.
I am very pleased with how it has turned out and hopefully will have some pictures of it in action for you in a few weeks. I am not going to be at the event as I am in Spain but fingers crossed there will be a few on Facebook!
I have also managed to make a very cute pouch in between marking this week so will share that with you soon I am away this coming weekend at Ellie’s so will be back with you next weekend.
Thanks for visiting and have a lovely weekend and week ahead.