I don’t really make New Year’s resolutions. I have had the same one for the last 10 years now to do more fun stuff and less housework and boring stuff but have been inspired by the prospect of Spring and a bit more time and nicer weather to think about sorting and getting on with stuff.
I am not going to do this – that would be foolish and would not help support all those lovely businesses run by hardworking women who share my passion for fabric.
So I am going to tackle the WIP pile! It is not very big but now that I am on a roll with the machine I am going to get the few projects that have been waiting for me to have some serious sewing time sorted.
I am not going to set a time frame for finishing everything but am going to try and complete one a month.
First one to be done is the cover for my new sewing machine. When I bought it in July I promised it a new cover and the poor thing has been languishing under its flimsy plastic one every since.
You may remember that I bought a lovely sewing machine themed spool rack last year and that my lovely children bought me the matching hook set for Christmas.
I found some great sewing machine panels that I thought would maybe look good as a hanging in the craft room and decided that one of those would make a pretty cover.
My chosen panel comes from the Snapshots Quilt Along held last year by the Fat Quarter Shop blog. This is a great set of patterns and they raised money as well as for each download they suggested that you donate to a children’s hospital.
Here is a picture of the full quilt from Pat Sloan’s blog.
The block is called Sew On and Sew On and there were some lovely versions made like these ones from the Flickr group by Pam Kitty Morning and Stamperville using the original colourway from the pattern.
I got as far as cutting this out last year and then the machine had a bit of wobbly, probably due to lack of nice cover so I had not had chance to sew it together.
So last Sunday I pulled all of the pieces out of the WIPs box and got them assembled.
The pattern suggests labelling each of the 32 pieces with Alphabitties, those little letter labels seen in the above photo but I don’t have any of those so used normal sticky labels cut into pieces which meant I could put dimensions as well as the pattern colour on to keep track while I sewed them together.
I found the video of how to sew the picture on the Fat Quarter shop blog very useful, it took a couple of hours but soon had this lovely picture.
I had thought I had enough fabric to do a single piece back as I had picked up some more of the turquoise print in a local craft shop a couple of months ago but when I unfolded the fat quarter it had fade marks along all of the fold lines so I had to be creative.
I did a pieced back with some 1 inch patches from the rest of the scraps.
I just ended up quilting in the ditch, I know I did the machine quilting course a while ago but need a bit more practise before I ruin something I have spent hours on!
So here it is a back and front view over a chair and in situ, went for a simple side tied and bound finish with the last of the turquoise strips.
I am extraordinarily pleased with this, even though it took about 9 hours in total including hand stitching the binding it was well worth it and my machine is very happy!
I am counting this as another project for the Sewing Bucket List – number 11 a project from a PDF pattern.
I also love the camera block they designed for the backing.
Not much crafting will be going on here this weekend, we have Ofsted (government inspectors) due in on Monday at work so have been busy with prep for that and the things I didn’t get done this week I need to do tomorrow.
Roll on next weekend 🙂
Hope you have a nice rest of the weekend and week ahead and see you soon, thanks for visiting.