Hope that you have all had a nice week. I am settling in to the new role at work and am enjoying all of the new modules I am teaching. As I mentioned previously I have been doing some travelling for work and while in Liverpool recently went to the cathedral to see the Elizabeth Hoare Gallery.
The reason why I wanted to visit was that many years ago, about 10 I think but it could be longer, I did a piece of goldwork from a magazine which was taken from this collection. I was very pleased with this Tudor Rose design, my first major piece of goldwork and it sits on my mantelpiece. It took about 50 hours to stitch.
I promised myself then that I would visit the collection, well it has taken a while but is so worth it. The collection was started to preserve Victorian and Edwardian ecclesiastical goldwork and has always been housed at the cathedral.
What makes it very special is that when the cathedral was being built a group was formed to make all the things for the cathedral and those are also displayed there. So unlike other places where you don’t know who made the items it has all been documented.
There are also some lovely samples showing how the items were made and this silks case, complete with stitched colour names on each of the pockets.
The piece I made was taken from this beautiful altar frontal which you can see in its full size at the back of the case in the second photo.I think it looks absolutely stunning in the green velvet.I am very pleased with my version as well.
There were so many other wonderful pieces, altar frontals, copes, chalice covers, you name it all of the glory that is church stitching was there. An absolutely wonderful collection.I am very pleased that made it there at last and plan to take Ellie there one day.
I have not been doing anything much for the last few weeks but plan to get cracking this weekend on the ornaments, am thinking of doing cathedral window ones.
I have found a couple of tutorials like this one here and this one and some fab inspiration from Pinterest such as this one using vintage linen from Jo at MyBearPaw.
Look at this gorgeous idea as well. Hope I can make something as lovely as this from Quilt Maven.
Will report back on progress! Hope that you all have a lovely weekend.
Thanks for visiting.
4 thoughts on “Here’s one I made earlier”
Goodness, I really must get to that exhibition! And you may well be pleased with your Tudor Rose. Well done!
Thanks I am, one day I will get the companion piece done, have a pattern for a goldwork pomegranate that I thought would go well with the rose since that was Katherine of Aragon’s symbol.
Your project is beautiful! And I love the idea of that cathedral pattern using vintage linens! Gives me some ideas…
I know – I have got so many lovely project ideas for my vintage linens but this one is really unusual.